Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 3; Planning Ahead for a Leftover Makeover

Today's dinner is Turkey Cutlets and Cornbread stuffing.

I always catch the best deals of nice, expensive cuts of meat at Winn-Dixie. I have gotten the fancy, organic chicken sausage for $2 or so (reg. $7) and I always get a great deal on turkey. Their loss is my gain! I have had some turkey cutlets hanging out in the freezer for a loooong time. I got them for a $1.50; SCORE!

Last night, I made extra cornbread (note to self; Martha White white cornbread mix sucks. In a hurry, I grabbed it instead of self-rising cornmeal. Since this IS a challenge, I will deal.) I let it cool and set it aside for tonight.

Dressing:
8 cups crumbled cornbread
1 small white onion, chopped
3 stalks celery
2 green onions, sliced
2 egg
3 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 1/2 c. hot water (normally, I would use broth, but since I had none, improvise...)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 Tbsp. butter
salt, pepper, hot sauce, thyme and parsley

I I sauteed the onions and celery til soft in the butter, poured that right into the cornbread crumbs. Added the other ingredients, only using enough broth to have the "right" consistency. Popped it into the oven at 375.

In the skillet, I added another Tbsp of butter and a drizzle of oil. I sauteed the turkey til brown and placed them on top of the dressing. It baked for about 45 mins total, while I made some pan gravy in the skillet. I served the turkey and dressing topped with gravy and with a side of peas.

Eliminated;
sucky cornbread mix, turkey cutlets, the last of the celery, cream of chicken soup












Baby Logan approves of this supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment