Monday, October 19, 2009

The BEST White Beans I've ever made!


I don't know why they came out so good? These were amazing. I brought Erin, Dane and Gage some and we ate the rest. Logan ate a whole plate; he loves beans! I'd this makes 8 servings. It freezes well, so you can always put the rest in the freezer for a lazy day.

Disclaimer* for all recipes* I am not a recipe cook. I rarely measure anything. All measurements are a good guess. Please cook with your eyes and nose, season to taste.

I quick soak my beans since I never remember to start them the night before. To quick soak, wash them and cover in several inches of water. Bring to a rapid boil for 2 mins. Turn off the heat, cover tightly and let sit 2 hours. Then drain.

White Beans with Ham and Sausage
1 lb navy beans, quick soaked and drained
1 package sausage, sliced on an angle, cooked and drained of all grease (Wayne's dad gives us the best deer sausage, but it is very greasy. I cook it twice, once to cook out the oil, and again so it will brown a bit.)
1/2 lb diced ham
1 1/2 large white onions, chopped or 2 medium
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
4 shakes red pepper flakes
hot sauce
basil, thyme, black pepper
1 c water

In a large skillet, heat olive oil, red pepper and garlic. When it sizzles, add the onion and celery. Cook til tender. Place the beans, sausage, ham veggies, seasonings and water in the Crock Pot. Cook on High for 5 hours, stirring occasionally. Turn to low and cook 3 hours more. Serve with rice and cornbread.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I love a simple pot of beans cooked like this. =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete